Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Subletting and the Landlord from hell

Posted by phredude on November 10, 2000 at 15:56:38:

Hi,

I posted a message once about having a guest, and I was overwhelmed by the help from this forum, so here I am again.

I live in a rent stabilized studio and I spend a lot of time not sleeping there. The place is in my name, and I have never missed the rent, though I might have been late a couple of days only once. What I am trying to say is that I have been a tenant in good standing. All the bills are in my name.

My landlord has about as hard an ass as they come, and I know he sees dollar signs in my flat-I have been there for over 5 years. I mentioned to him I want to sublet it, and he said emphatically that he "would not let me." My friend, who wants to sublet it, says that I can by the law, and no matter what he says, I have the right. I have a two year lease that just began.

I don't want to go to war. I want my security deposit, and the landlord said he would be more than happy to absolve me of my lease, but he will most assuredly jack up the rent. He's busting my balls about subletting, and he even tracked me down at work to try to appeal to my human side and do what is morally correct because there are people out there that need housing. I thought it was a joke coming from a man that doesn't have a compassionate bone in this body.

What are the laws? Sorry that this is so long, but I want to make things clear. What is the rule regarding taking in a roommate? I want to abide by the law, I want to get my deposit, but I also hate the thought of this guy getting his way so he can make even more money at the tenants expense.

Thanks for any advice. I realize it's Friday, and I might not hear from anybody, but have a nice weekend.

phredude

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name