Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: An MCI is ridiculous...

Posted by Fred Lappert on November 13, 2000 at 06:37:31:

In Reply to: An MCI is ridiculous... posted by Will on November 13, 2000 at 00:01:32:

: Unless the lease explicitely states otherwise the tenant can put down whatever temporary floor covering they chose. Most standard leases have an 80% rug rule so an area rug would be required in addition this flooring if thats the case...

...or the temporary floor could be instead of the carpet (but that wan't the original issue)

: A capital improvement aka MCI may become as much as a 6% increase in the rent for at least a year or more....to me thats anti all tenants living in the building...oh yes thats the other point. A capital improvment must benefit all tenants in the building not just one. In the case of a single tenant it an 1/40 rule improvement...again in the long run very costly.

As TenantNet said, it would be an "individual apartment improvement", not an MCI. The rules covering MCI's -- 6%/year limit and benefitting all tenants -- would not apply. ANd the tenant didn't ask if it made economic sense to put down a floor, but if he could.

But it was Ken who introduced that concept, and frankly, I'm getting tired of his landlord mantra. If TenantNet is keeping Ken in line, then good for them.

: : Tenant Net apparently considers it "anti-tenant" to offer a tenant any advice other than what it would say. This (ideally should be) a forum for tenants to get and receive advice and answers, not a Tenant Net Cheerleading Squad.

: : The "advice" Tenant Net proffered is ridiculous -- very anti tenant. Tenant Net proposes that the tenant should buy a new floor with his own founds, then pick up the floor and presumably take it elsewhere. Do you want to carry a FLOOR with you when you move to a new apartment ? I sure don't, any reasonable tenant doesn't. This is why I advised that the tenant request a capital improvement and let this be the landlord's expense and responsbility.

: : Indeed, DHCR is a state agency -- Tenant Net knows the buracracy better than I do. Considering the almost religious zeal in which Tenant Net praises regulations and government agencies, I would not be surprised to learn that the person behind Tenant Net is a wanna-be bureacrat who couldn't pass the civil service exam.

: : The fact that Tenant Net saw fit to censor a post offering good advice, while leaving up attacking posts by such users as Eagle, shows us that there is an agenda at work here that has nothing to do with a tenant's best interests.

: : If this sort behavior on the part of Tenant Net continues, I will be forced to stop posting here, and tenants will go elsewhere for advice and answers.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name