Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Treble Damages?

Posted by eran chesnut on November 16, 2000 at 11:52:41:

In Reply to: Treble Damages? posted by K. Doe on November 16, 2000 at 01:13:31:

As far as I know, the only additional charge you are entitled to when it comes to security deposits is interest - and that is only around 2% per year, minus a 1% "accounting fee" the landlord is entitled to deduct. That said, I think you should save yourself some money by suing your landlord yourself in small claims court (it only costs a few bucks to file). Just in case though, ask your lawyer if you can sue the landlord for legal fees - in which case you should keep doing what you're doing. Chances are, if he or she is as much of an idiot as it appears, he/she won't even show up. Whatever you do, make sure if you go to small claims that a judge hears your case. That way you can appeal if the judge is as much of an idiot as your landlord. Don't go to "mediation" (and don't go on "People's Court") - these are lawyers who like to put cases 'to bed' by splitting the contested amounts down the middle, and you cannot appeal these mysterious decisions. It may take a few months to get a final decision, and then up to a year to get your money, but you'll get it. (Make sure you have saved your canceled checks or anything that has the landlord's bank account number on it so the sherriff can garnish his/her account if they try not to pay after you win.)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name