Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Questions, Ideas, Confusion

Posted by MikeW on November 16, 2000 at 12:31:05:

In Reply to: illegal sublet - been fighting but am about to go under posted by David on November 14, 2000 at 21:46:48:

David

This seems to be a very long complicated story, and I haven't really gotten all of it. A few Questions.

How long have you been in the apartment?

What kinds of litigation are in progress, and with whom (LL, prime tenant, roommate)?

What kind of communciation have you had with the LL?

Some ideas.

The prime tenant is obviously doing an illegal sublet at with an illegal overcharge. She cannot get more than the rent she pays, plus 10% if the apartment is subleased furnished. I hope your lawyer told you that you can sue her (the prime tenant) for 3x the total amount of the overcharge. I would immediately stop paying her.

You seem to have some relationship with the LL. If he is amenable, you could negotiate to get the apartment as a stabilized tenant at the legal regulated rent (including the vacancy increase). You might want to use your lawyer to negotiate this.

If I've missed anything in your posts that contradicts this, you'll have to forgive me.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name