Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Mugged in my building with faulty front door...

Posted by Lila on November 18, 2000 at 09:06:00:

A month ago I was mugged at knifepoint in the stairwell of my building in the East Village (a police report has been filed in this matter). I have lived here for 5 years, and as long as I can remember, the front door has always had problems closing properly. I often called to complain, but do not have record of the dates of these calls.

I reported the mugging by phone call and certified letter to my landlord and the door has still not been repaired *properly*. There was a new lock placed on the door, but the door itself is the problem -- it seems to be inhibiting the lock from catching, and the landlord is reluctant to make this repair. He also said he didn't think it possible to install a security camera in the building.

Is there any action I can take which can force my landlord to take some care in repairing and maintaining this building for the security of its tenants?? I am afraid something like this will happen again unless there is pressure on the landlord to take building security seriously. I appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name