Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Co-tenant responsibility?

Posted by   on November 22, 2000 at 10:13:51:

In Reply to: Re: Co-tenant responsibility? posted by Jim on November 21, 2000 at 11:08:53:

Although it would seem logical for the landlord to insist that there be three people on the renewal lease, the Rent Guidelines Board says that fewer people can sign the renewal lease, with a 6% increase for a two-year lease.

In fact, if three different people sign the new lease, it is considered a vacancy lease, with a minimum 20% increase for a two-year lease.

Unfortunately, the part of the Rent Guidelines Board website that covers co-tenant and roommate issues is under construction and is not currently available:

Roommate Issues & Leases -

http://housingnyc.com/questions/faq/roommate.html

If you had asked your question sooner, people might have suggested that you call the RGB and see if the information was available in printed form.

You and the other original co-tenant should sue your former co-tenant in small claims court for: his share of the last two months' rent, his share of unpaid utilities, and additional rent for the period his girlfriend live there.

:
: Landlord insisted we have three people on the lease. Once he got the letter from the departing roommate, he started to make arrangements to have the apartment re-listed (which is what he wants anyway). We already moved someone in to take his room -- should I bother with court, or am I wasting my time?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name