Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can he really charge this much!

Posted by e. chesnut on November 24, 2000 at 13:26:16:

In Reply to: Can he really charge this much! posted by Billie on November 21, 2000 at 09:49:49:

Go directly to small claims court and file against him for the full value of the rug, and the cost of the fridge minus depreciation. Also sue him for the interest he accrued on your security deposit while he held it (minus his allowable 'handling fee'). Assuming you kept your receipt from the fridge purchase, you're in good shape. He probably won't show up to court, and even if he does, he will not be able to prove that he paid $650 for the rug. Either way, he'll have to reimburse you for the rug deduction from your security deposit, and pay you for the fridge. Don't go to mediation - have a judge hear your case. It will take up to a year for you to get your money, but you'll get it. If you want to settle sooner, and make a deal that will avoid a court hearing, send him a letter offering to swap him the cost of the fridge for the rug. But only do this after he has received notice that you are suing him in small claims court. (The filing fee costs a few bucks, but it will give you leverage to negotiate with...)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name