Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: multiple payments on money orders

Posted by E on November 27, 2000 at 15:32:09:

In Reply to: multiple payments on money orders posted by Yarrow Regan on November 27, 2000 at 15:11:39:

: Does any one know anything about this? I live in a rent stabilized building. The landlord took me to court last year claiming that I didn't pay the rent. I had sent it in certified return receipt requested. However, I did a trace on the money orders, the Post Office replaced them. In court I satisfied the judgement (yes he had a marshall on me) with the new money orders. In August of this year I get invoices from the Post Office Accounting Office that the landlord cashed the three original money orders, three months rent, which I have to pay back to the Post Office. I have a payment plan with the Post Office. However, I did not pay my rent for Sept, Oct & Nov because the landlord owes me three months rent. Now, the landlord has a non payment action on me. To top it off, even though I get my mail at my PO Box (the landlord has stolen mail from me before) the landlord put a mail box that I don't want with my name on it. He must be mailing stuff there, because I never got served with papers, I only got the post card from the court. If anyone knows anything about this or can help me I would appreciate it. Please don't tell me to "get out of there" unless you have an apartment for me and are willing to help me pack everything and haul it to the new place. Thanks. (I also have not received my lease renewal form)

Take that card to the housing court clerk's office and find out when the court date was or is. Even if there was a hearing...you can file for non notification (even if you have been served by the Marshall's office with the 6 day notice)...which will halt all proceedings and open a new hearing. Obviously, be prepared with proof of the double payment. If possible, try to work it out with the Landlord's attorney.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name