Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Precariousness?

Posted by Advise me of My Rights! on November 29, 2000 at 11:21:34:

In Reply to: Re: Precariousness? posted by Dawn on November 29, 2000 at 11:03:17:

Thanks for your response. The building management initially cashed 3 of my checks but then (according to my roomate) asked for checks from him only. Does not the fact that this space has been my primary residence for 4 years give me some legal standing? He has been evasive and less than honest about the situation. If I have been paying the entire rent of the apartment, does he owe me any compensation for this, since his space is much larger?

: If you've rented a room from this person who owns the co-op for four years, then your tenancy is based with this person and not the co-op board. You did not mention if the co-op management has been accepting checks directly from you, but I think a co-op is different from a regular leased apartment. Different rules may apply, but I DO know that for a regular apartment, if you were paying the landlord directly, it would show that you could take over the place because it shows you were having a business relationship with the landlord. I don't think this will work with co-ops, however. If the person renting you the room is starting to become unreasonable, then you may have to start looking elsewhere, the sooner the better and give them proper notice when you do find a place.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name