Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

How many times can a landlord use the excuse

Posted by Eva on December 01, 2000 at 18:09:03:

I live in a one bedroom apartment in Buffalo, NY. There are four units in my building; six building total.

My landlord's rental company purchased my apartment complex last spring. Since then, their excuse for everything has been, "This is a new property and we're not familiar with the [furnace/hot water/etc.]." However, they don't seem to be hiring anyone who *does* understand the system, so nothing gets fixed properly. Now that it's getting colder, my apartment has been without heat at least four or five times, and two of my radiators don't work properly. Each time, the maintenance man has done nothing except say that he's unfamilar with the furnace, and that it's just going to be an "experiental" year. After weeks of the heat working sporadically, and getting nowhere with my landlord, I finally called the city heating inspector to see what I should do. He was very friendly and concerned; he was also familiar with my landlord and the apartment complex, and agreed that there were definite problems. He said he would send someone out to check the furnace and see what the maintenance guy was doing.

Today, the maint. guy stopped by to check my heat, and told me that I'm not to call the city anymore, because they just consider it a "nuisance call" and that I should have called him first. I said I would call the city again if I had to, because he wasn't fixing the problem and I was sick of freezing. I also reminded him that my lease states that his company provides the legal amount of heat--not his company provides heat unless they can't figure out how to work the furnace.

These people have been nothing but rude, inconsiderate and lazy since I moved in, and I've been very patient until now. How long do I have to put up with the broken furnace? Do I just keep calling the city, or is this grounds to eventually break my lease?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name