Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Harrassment?

Posted by Dawn on December 04, 2000 at 16:06:17:

In Reply to: Harrassment? posted by Kath on December 04, 2000 at 07:15:42:

It does certainly smack of harassment -- but I don't know if much can be done about it, seeing that you may be living in a private home. Having an occasional guest over is no big deal, but it also depends, especially if it's a private house, on the owner. If you've tried to talk rationally with the owner -- you don't mention about having a nice calm conversation with the owner about this -- and the owner refuses to listen or is hostile, you may have to consider moving. You mention a month to month lease but don't mention where you're located. How long have you been there? What kind of relationship did you have with the owner before the boyfriend came on the scene? Is there anything written on your lease specifically about guests? Ask to meet at a reasonable time and place with the landlord and try to reach some kind of compromise on the water situation and the guest situation -- and get it writing to sign off on and add as a rider to the lease. Good luck.

: I live in a 2 family home, with a month to month lease. Recently my boyfriend, who lives about 1 1/2 hours away from me has started to stay over on Saturday nights, and on Sunday mornings like every other human being wants to take a shower. This past Sunday, he had not even been in the shower 5 minutes when my landlord started ringing the telephone and banging on the wall like a nut job. On Saturday morning, my landlord (who has always had a problem anytime he hears the water running, but I must add he, his wife, his son take their showers every day, he waters his lawn every day and hoses off his car, and fills his pool, and does laundry every day, while even if I wash dishes he calls to ask why the water is running) made a comment which smacked of a threat to raise my rent every time my boyfriend "flushes to toilet". My boyfriend is only here on Saturday nights and Sunday afternoons and then goes home. Can this be considered harrassment? What are my rights here?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name