Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Renewal Rights are the Problem

Posted by Lurker-Owner on December 15, 2000 at 15:10:20:

In Reply to: Quick to troll, Ken gets it somewhat wrong posted by TenantNet on December 14, 2000 at 23:33:14:

>> But your conclusion that this has something to do with rent regulation is bananas - colored by your zeal to claim rent regs are responsible for every ill in the world. This is a contractual issue and applies to non-regulated units equally. So stop the trolling or you may join Richard. <<

Actually, renewal rights under stabilization _are_ the problem with taking roommate checks. In a free market apartment, I'm not really concerned about creating a landlord-tenant relationship with the roommate. At the end of the lease, I can set the rent without regard to the RGB order or terminate the relationship (which when I do is usually because of objectionable conduct that doesn't rise to the high NYC level of nuisance).

If the apartment is stabilized, however, after creating a l-t relationship with the roommate, the roommate can renew even if the original tenant vacates. I'm stuck with the roommate even though he didn't go through the regular screening process. This would also seem to apply in a Paikoff coop in the second department.

In short, Ken is more right than he was given credit for.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name