Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Tenant From Hell ---> PLEASE ADVISE

Posted by Denis G on December 26, 2000 at 16:01:50:

My family are the owners of a 5 story building in lower manhattan. The groud floor is rented out commercially, and the 4 floors above are all lofts (125' x 35'). A looong time ago, about 20 yrs now, maybe longer, a tenant moved in ( I believe she was/is an artist). She paid some rent for a while, then stopped completely. She started out renting two lofts, and completely stopped paying rent on both. A few years later, she divided up the lofts and subletted the area to other artists/tenants (and began collecting rent without paying us a dime). We have tried to remove her many times, but lawyers have told us that the time and effort required is not worth the reward. To me, this is crazy. A woman who claims to be an artist (Doesnt live in NYC for more than 3 months a yr, lives in Virginia for the other 9 mths) is living in our building rent free, and still collects rent from half a dozen of her own tenants. What can we do about this situation? Surely, there has to be a law that can have her removed. I was told that if the space was to be used for the owners of the building (ie: commerically for the owners of the building's use), she can be removed. Can anyone help me in this situation?
Thanks,
Denis G.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name