Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

illegal youth hostel

Posted by rd350 on December 29, 2000 at 21:31:55:

My new neighbors (about 6 months now) are all from different countries and in their late 20's or so. In the first month they were here (in their 1 bedroom apartment) they had about 10 different people living there, usually around 5 at a time. Since then there have been at least another 15 people living there for maybe a month at a time, all (25 people) have had keys to our building. It seems that they are running a 'youth hostel' or its equivalent. I don't think they even have a lease. There has been one or two people who have been there since the beginning. Either they or my landlord are running an illegal hotel. I also think the landlord is keeping the apartment 'officially' vacant so they can trump up the rent in a year. Is there any recourse I can take.
1) About this illegal 'hotel'. There are people going in and out of the apartment at all hours of the day and night.
2) About the landlord keeping the apartment 'officially' vacant even though in reality it is not and they are collecting rent.

Thank you for any suggestions.

p.s. please do not take my e-mail address to add to any unsolicited mailing lists.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name