Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Renting from a landlord who is being foreclosed on HELP!!!!!!

Posted by Renee on January 07, 2001 at 12:35:59:

In Reply to: Re: Renting from a landlord who is being foreclosed on HELP!!!!!! posted by Christina on January 07, 2001 at 08:55:32:

I would call the bank and ask to whom the payments should be made at this point. Usually when the foreclosure involves a tenant, the bank sends a letter indicating the address to which payment should be made. Write a letter to Landlord so that you have documentation that you attempted to contact him. Keep very precise records of whom you spoke to and when. I don't know how long the foreclosure has been in process so I could not speculate on the length of time you have left, but I would advise you to keep your eyes open on the rental market for a place you would like to live in. Just because the foreclosure takes 6 months does not mean that the bank cannot give you a 30 day notice to move. If you let it go to eviction - it will be on your credit report, so it would be in your best interest to avoid that. If I understand correctly, you were on a 2 year lease that expired. This means that you are a month to month tenant and 30 day notice is all that is required. Even if your husband was (heaven forbid) a quadriplegic and you had 6 sets of twins, this would not forestall an eviction since the legal owner of the property has the option to re-gain possession with 30 day notice same as you have the right to move with 30 day notice. Speak to a rep[resentative from the bank to see what their plans are. They may already have a buyer in the wings ready to pick up the house cheap from the bank so be kind to people that are being shown through. They may be your next landlords. My dealings with banks handling foreclosures is that they are cagey at best. Maybe you can find someone there that can understand your plight. Wishing you much luck, Christina!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name