Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

lotsa issues: rent stabilization: visitors: security deposits

Posted by senrik on January 07, 2001 at 18:45:21:

My former landlord is really playing games. Its a rent stabilized apartment in brooklyn. My wife and I received it exactly 18 days before the lease expired. We'd gotten a verbal committment by the landlord that we could go month to month for 1-2 months before we closed on an apartment.

We asked that he extend our stay by the 60 days required by DHCR (in writing). He didn't respond, except by calling at all times during the day and hanging up. We later returned the form and indicated that we would leave by the end of the month. He showed up 2 days later at the door with potential tenants. Later he called to ask us what day we were leaving, we told him. He didn't ask for and didn't show up during any closing inspections. We took photographs (with the day's newspaper prominantly shown in the picture).

we also let him know that he can send anything to the current address and it would forward. (we set that up with the post office).

WE didnt receive any correspondance, or check for 2 months. So we asked the attorney general to mediate. After receiving a letter from the AG, he claimed that there was more than $1100 of damage to the apartment (cracks on the walls, caused by nailholes, degreasing the kitchen, painitng). None of our pictures show this, and I know that we had cleaned up, spackled holes, etc. Later we made copies of the pictures to the AG and then the LL offered $200 of our original $950. Now we are taking it to court... do we have any chance?

Also during our stay there, we had my mother-in-law visit. She was visiting us from malaysia, and as a result, was going to stay a while. the LL claimed that she could only stay one month, and after that, he would raise the rent. is this legal?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name