Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

the real question is..where are you looking?

Posted by Dawn on January 08, 2001 at 16:18:32:

In Reply to: Pulling my Hair Out posted by Rob on January 08, 2001 at 13:21:05:

New York City consists of the five boroughs -- Manhattan, Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn and Staten Island. You'd have a better shot finding an apartment outside of Manhattan and further into the other boroughs. For example, Long Island City is pretty close and it would tougher, although not impossible, to find an apartment out there but if you want a more reasonably priced apartment or more choices on apartments, you may need to take the train a couple of more stops into Queens. The further out you go, the better your chances.

I would also check the Village Voice (comes out Tuesday nights in Manhattan) or go on-line to the Village Voice where they have an apartment search function. You can check off the areas you like, how big the apartment you want, and for how much, the range of the rent, you're willing to pay. You may find a couple of non-agency places.

There's also word of mouth. Have friends be on the lookout for you in their areas. Sometimes walking around, you'll come across for rent signs, too. Good luck.

: I have been looking for an apartment in NYC without a broker for about 2 months now. I have come to a conclusion, management companies are telling me that no apartments are available when infact they are but a broker paid them off so no one else could view the apartment.
: I viewed an apartment really nice went down to put an application, I asked to speak with a agent they said he would be in touch. No word, called agent directly and he couldn't find my application, after an entire day he found my app.
: Another place I call about 3 times a day looking for an apartment, 3 times in the past 2 weeks I have called at 10:30, no apartments and I call at Noon there is a 1-Bed and there is already an app on it.
: Now I know that by itself its easy to blow off but since this has happend to me 4 times in two weeks, I don't see how all of this is imagined.
: If any of you have experience or some advice I would greatly appreciate it.
: Thanks
: Rob

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name