Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: On my way to small claims

Posted by Kenny on January 11, 2001 at 08:16:13:

In Reply to: Re: On my way to small claims posted by gary on January 10, 2001 at 18:42:00:

It's not NYC, it's Long Island and it was a house rental. i looked into treble damages, but they don't seem to apply here. I'm entitled to court fees and 9% interest monthly from the end of the lease on my $3000.

I know about the mediator option, but I'm content to drag this guy in front of a real judge and hold his lying ass up for the world to see. A couple of times in the first two legal preceedings he brought against us he (and his lawyer) got reprimanded by the judges for being stupid. It felt pretty darn good, I must say :) I went and sat in on the small claims court earlier this week to see how the stuff went. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay long enough to see a real trial, but I did see the back and forth that goes on beforehand.

I'll have to call the court and find out of they'll permit me to bring a tv/vcr to the court. I hadn't considered that option.

I've made a personal decision that I'll accept less money (no less than $2500) if he writes a check on the spot and i can call his bank and verify the money is there. Then I'd drive straight to his branch from the court. That's a bit of a pipe dream - he's been screwing us for so long, I don't think he's going to stop in the home-stretch. The egomaniac is convinced that he's right anyway. My favorite part will be when I win and he still doesn't pay and I get to put a lein on the house he's trying to sell. That will make it all worth it. He's a guy who thinks that because he says "because i said so" that everybody has to just listen and do what he says - I don't imagine he'll be any different with the court.

Thanks for your advice and I hope to hear anybody elses who stumbles in here :)
~Kenny

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name