Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord sent offer letter to vacate. Help!

Posted by gary on January 17, 2001 at 17:49:57:

In Reply to: Re: Landlord sent offer letter to vacate. Help! posted by georgygirl on January 17, 2001 at 12:45:28:

: About your question about the lease renewal, no, I have not yet received the lease renewal form. Should I wait it out til March to find out or should I ask about it now? OR should I just not bother with LL and file with DCHR now?

Forget about the LL. He is off in outer space somewhere. The question is, do you filed your complaint with the DHCR or later.
The later he offers you a lease, the later the rent increase goes into effect.
He is already late. If he gave you a new lease today, the date of the lease and increase would be later than March. I hesitate to say how much later, because the rules on that have changed recently.

I do not know about the downside of waiting before you file your complaint. For example, do you have only a certain amount of time to file a complaint? Hopefully someone else can address this issue--and the other very good questions you raised. I noted that a person of apparent expertise posted also weighed in on this subject.

I would definitely not ask the guy for a lease. He is foregoing his rent increase. Let him learn the hard way.

As for that "retroactive" stuff--what that means, I think, is retroactive to the date the improvements were put in place. Often the DHCR orders rent increases long afterwards and makes them retroactive.
It doesnt mean retroactive to BEFORE the landlord did the work!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name