Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

rent

Posted by stephanie on January 18, 2001 at 16:26:36:

I live in an apartment in Old City in Center City Philadelphia that the landlord has never made any repairs in. I have been to court with them for with holding my rent, they sued me for non-payment of rent, even though it was in an established escrow account and the first of every month they received a statement from the bank.

My lawyer did not put in writing the judges terms and send it too their lawyers, nor did he send any type of copy to me, confirming what the judge said. So it was my word against theirs.

Eventually he went back to the court and researched the records, sure enough I had underpaid but I did not owe court costs or attorneys fees to them.

Each time I went to court with them they would send us to mediation, the management company promised to fix everything as soon as I gave them $2740.00 and that if another apartment opened up I could move out of the gheetto hole I lived in to this one.

My lawyer told me to wait two weeks/14 days and then pay them. They never made the repairs, I never moved to a better apartment. I made a mistake paying them and only paid them $2,470.00. I then paid them a check infront of another witness from my apartment and the property manager lost the check.

I was never told until months afterwards that the check had not been posted to my account and I was assessed late fee's and another judgement. Even though they kept accepting all my other checks At this time I received a new job in NY. I had no court dates. The first day I started working I found out I was supposed to be in court.

I received a judgement from them that was ordered removed from the judge, it has not been. I was told by my lawyer that I had to keep paying the rent. I now have two judgements and snow still comes in my apartment, the toilet leaks from the base,my stove(new) has no burners, no racks, the ceiling in the bathroom leaks, the heat does not work, (I use the oven) and the washer and dryer combo have not worked since I moved in.

According to my lawyers instructions, I have kept paying them rent and paid for the check they lost to be reintstated. They have held onto my checks and mailed them back saying that I need to get a money order and that they will not accept a check because I have been evicted, but my checks have all been stamped with date received etc.

Is that legal? I called my lawyer and he said since they won't accept my checks I can send them to their lawyer and to just call the secretary and get their address, but not to talk to their lawyer because it is forbidden.

Can I sue this company? Can I sue my lawyer? Is there a human relations board of real estate or a fair housing department for people that rent? I am trying to find a new apartment, I live in Center City Philadelphia in an apartment with a big sign out front that says Luxury apts. But I cannot find an apartment because the property manager says I never pay my rent on time and I am a trouble maker. Other apartment companies have told me that the property manager has said this about me. Some people have told me I have the apartment and then back out when they hear that I cause problems with the tenants! Untrue of course. Plus I have a judgement on my credit that has never been removed.
Help!

Thanks,

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name