Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I don't consider myself a tick and I don't think you would either if you met me...

Posted by Renee on January 20, 2001 at 07:28:23:

In Reply to: I don't consider myself a tick and I don't think you would either if you met me... posted by Jonathan on January 19, 2001 at 22:31:38:

I, too, am a LL and villified for my profession. However, after reading some of the posts here and elsewhere, some of our colleagues (sp?) have made it hard for the decent landlords that try to do right by their tenants to be accepted for what they are. Its true that one bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch, but to those persons struggling for sanity just to have a decent place to live, that one bad apple is the whole bunch.

I know of very few other partnerships that affect the daily lives of the parties involved to the extent that the Landlord / Tenant relationship does and that is why it is most important for those landlords that do care to stay informed and to be reminded that this is "HOME" for our tenants. It is also most important for prospective tenants to find out as much as you can about the Landlord. In NYC, where people are just struggling to find an apartment, any apartment - it is hard to do, I know. But much can learned about your landlord just by standing outside the building and taking off the rose colored glasses, speaking to the other residents, and asking LL questions. Get everything in writing and remember when looking for an apartment :
WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET. If its a dump, it will never turn into a castle.

I have some wonderful relationships with present and former tenants. I have found help for those with financial problems, domestic abuse, and health issues. I have had some that nearly drove me to drink, but thats the point... There are good and bad Landlords and Tenants. When the good LLs find the good Tenants - its a match made in heaven.

Don't take is so personally, Jonothan. Just keep being one of the good ones and looking for those good tenants.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name