Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: electrical violations in apt.

Posted by Kris on January 25, 2001 at 12:22:12:

In Reply to: electrical violations in apt. posted by dd on January 24, 2001 at 18:06:40:

dd... It is quite possible that the electrician was correct, but your landlord is still being legal. Eletrical code changes but in many places previous / existing stuff is grandfathered. This means that until the landlord does an upgrade that would involve changing some of the eletric, nothing has to be changed (some areas are different though). Did you ask the electrician what was acually the "fire hazard" or unsafe? If there is something legitimately dangerous, then your landlord would probably want to know and would probably get it fixed anyway (he / she does not want their building to burn down nor do they want the liability of someone getting hurt). I would not involve a government agency with this right away. As others have mentioned, the immediate result could be you having to move (building declared unfit or landlord being forced to fix it and that fixing would require you out of the apartment ASAP). Did your landlord indicate that he was not going to have his friend look into what the electrician said?

As far as your rent being increased, there is nothing you (or a government agency that you want to contact and have do something) can do about it. The landlord told you in advance that that was going to happen and before all of this wiring stuff (I am basing this assumption on the fact that you did not indicate he said this after the electical thing) so it does not even look like it falls under any retalitory clauses your area might have.

Does your landlord pay your heat? If so that would by itself explain the increase. If you are still unhappy with everything, I would start looking today for a new place where the wiring is up to your needs. Just take a look at the breaker box of any place you are considering. If it looks like it has ample circuits for each room (I generally go with 3 or more for the kitchen, at least one for the bathroom, 3 for the living room and two for each bedroom at a minimum), then the eletric is probably fine. Good luck and make sure you sign a one year lease so that you know your rent is locked in next time.

: Yesterday my electricity went off and I could not get in touch with my landlord after leaving several messages. I had no choice but to contact and hire an electrician to do repairs. The electrician told me that the wiring in the building, from what he saw in the basement, had numerous violations, fire hazards and incorrect wiring. I finally spoke with my landlord, today, and he is having a friend of his, who knows about electrical work come by tomorrow to do repairs. The electrician I hired (which was licensed) stated it is no wonder there has not been an electrical fire in the building. What recourse do I have against my landlord? Is there someone or some agency that I can report this? Is there some agency that will come in and inspect the wiring for further violations? I am a month to month tenant, whose rent is about to be increased by $300.00 in March. HELP!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name