Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I need a licensed P.E. or Architects : DoB resources

Posted by former vice president on January 25, 2001 at 20:33:39:

In Reply to: Re: I need a licensed P.E. or Architects : DoB resources posted by Bob on January 25, 2001 at 19:21:47:

"You don't need one to report this to DoB. Note: no sub-basement can ever legally be used for humans to live in. You can research this yourself in the Building Code, part of the NYC Admin Code, at your library or purchase it at the NYC Store."

This is not exactly true. There are grey areas, first off a basement and cellar are two different things, do you really know which it is? And an apartment can be attached to a basement space if it is considered a recreational space. I don't know, it falls under quality living guidelines I believe.

Brownstones and certain areas allow for different circumstances and have different definitions for basements and cellars. IF an arcitect got a permit then the premises will have to be inspected by a city inspector. The inspector will catch anything illegal.

Why are you trying to find out this info, are you wanting to use it to get leverage on your landlord, or you unhappy with the renovations? What's your motivation? You should be able to check the permits and get any info you need off of them.

former vice pres

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name