Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: landlord is a bully

Posted by DOB enforcer on January 26, 2001 at 22:19:38:

In Reply to: landlord is a bully posted by sean on January 23, 2001 at 12:18:47:

To find out about existing ECB and/or DOB violations on your building you can either
(1) call the DOB information phone # (check out the NYC city website = DOB), then enter the info about your building (use either block/lot #s or address) -- this will allow you to research the violation history (as well as researching facts concerning construction / permits) or (2) go to DOB and use the public access computer terminals (In Manhattan @ 60 Hudson St, 5th Floor; other Boroughs check the websites / phone book)to find out the status of complaints / violations pertaining to your building.
Both avenues require some time / work and you will likely experience some mis-steps before you find what you are looking for, but both are terrific ways to find out what is going on in the building where you live. Also: this kind of info can prove invaluable when / if you have to go before a judge. Plus it may put you in the position of correcting problems that jeopardize your health and safety.
And be careful about p[eople who tell you that an owner hasa no obligation to correct violations, repair faulty building systems, etc. It is the right of every tenant to live in safe, code-compliant buildings.
Good luck...

: I live in a four-unit brownstone (Brooklyn)and began withholding rent after a long period of owner negligence toward major problems (hole in the roof, stairway crumbling in, and more). In December the owner started to make some of the necessary repairs - just scratching the surface, but a show of good faith nonetheless. So I began paying current rent starting w/ Dec., but continue to hold the four unpaid months (Aug. to Nov.) b/c I feel I should receive some sort of abatement for that period (I offered 50%). The owner (through a very rude mgmt. co., b/c he lives in Fla.) won't deal with me, won't make any further repairs, refuses to renew my recently expired lease and has threatened me with a five day eviction notice for past due $$ owed. My questions are: for a 4 unit brownstone - what are rules they need to follow? can they kick me out w/ less than 30 days notice? (esp. if I'm paying current rent) Is it worth my time to file a warranty of habitability claim now on a dispute from several months ago? Should I even bother offering to settle with no new lease in sight? Can they legally not offer a new lease? And finally, over the last year I've seen numerous notices from the City Environmental Board (not positive of the exact name right now, but def. a city agency) basically stating the place is a hazard and threatening punitive fines/action - - when I mentioned these notices to the owner, he laughed it off, saying he did a title search and nothing like that showed up. How can I check to see if these records exist? It seems they would make my potential case a lock. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name