Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I need a licensed P.E. or Architects : DoB resources

Posted by former vice pres on January 27, 2001 at 08:26:01:

In Reply to: Re: I need a licensed P.E. or Architects : DoB resources posted by Chelsea on January 25, 2001 at 21:04:03:

self certification? Paying off the inspector? Oh brother. Inspectors face huge fines and jail time, and it is enforced, and has been to the degree that it has virtually dissappeared. An inspector never knows if he is being set up for the fall, so they don't do it.

I don't even know what you mean by self certification. If you want to make any modifications to a property that involve changing wall configurations, or even as minor as just the breaking of any walls you have to get a permit. This means plans and expiditing it through the Building Department, wether it is done by the owner or an architect (or professional expiditor) it is still subject to an inspection, WHICH WILL INDEED CATCH ANYTHING THAT IS ILLEGAL.

It doesn't sound like we are talking about an architect squeezing in a few extra feet under the buildings Allowable Square Footage, we are talking about hiding a sub-basement from an inspector, I don't think so. Particularly if there is a boiler down there, and an inspector might be liable if a tenant died from a boiler accident.

Besides you skipped right over the point I made that in some areas basement spaces are allowable if they are considerd a rec space.

former vice pres

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name