Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Well I'll tell what my bid would be...

Posted by former vice pres on January 28, 2001 at 00:27:23:

In Reply to: how much to replace a floor posted by Jason on January 27, 2001 at 12:12:04:

Let's see, demolition and removal (taken to landfill or dumpster costs) let's say 3000.00 that's being conservative.

5.00 a square ft for oak flooring, that's #1 unfinished that's 2250.00.
3/4 inch CDX Plywood that would be 15 sheets at 30.00 a sheet is 450.00, plus felt, nails, glue, and maybe other materials if the floor had to be leveled. But lets say not, thats's 5750.00 so far just materials.

Figure 2 days to demo, 2 day prep, 4 days to lay flooring and oak and 1 to 2 days to finish oak. 11 days total. Figure 100.00 per man hours. That means for three guys per hour. That's 8800.00. added to 5750 equals 14550.00. Most contractors add about 15 to 20 % for profit margin, that's another 2182.50 and there you've got it. My bid would be 16732.50. Don't forget contractors have to pay health insurance, accidental, keep an office, maintain tools (which have a tendancy to dissappear and get broken) and keep up trucks. Included in this price is the time and energy in getting materials etc. It is not an easy way to make a living. It's dirty and it sucks. I'd say the price was fair.

NOTE: Demolition is outrageous , I got a bid to have a floor removed (about 400 square feet) once and it was over 5000.00, just for the removal. If there are cabinets and toilets and radiators and doors that have to be worked around. And if the floor had to be leveled at all, or if there was any structural damage it could easily run that much.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name