Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: landlord raising rent by $600

Posted by Maria on January 30, 2001 at 21:13:58:

In Reply to: landlord raising rent by $600, help please posted by stacy on January 30, 2001 at 15:56:27:

: : I have lived in my apartment for 4 years. I signed a two year lease 2 years ago for the second time and my rent was increased $150. Since it has been 2 years again they are now raising my rent $600. I do not believe my building is rent stabilized or rent controlled, but can they really do this? And, do I have any rights? I would like to fight this. I called the holding company and they told me "that is just the way it is" and then they hung up on me. Please help!!! In addition, my neighbor only was raised $150.

First, find out if maybe you are supposed to be stabilized: call DHCR. If your apartment is in their computer anytime since 1984, ask if there is some special reason why the building is exempt. Get the Rent History on paper, let one of those clinics or the pro-se attorney at housing court help read it.

If you're really really not supposed to be stabilized, all you can do is negotiate. If they won't budge, remember: unless you agree to it, they can't increase your rent. They'll have to send you a 30-day notice to leave and then get a court to sign an eviction order. Learn more about this right. Use the money you can save them in your negotiation for a smaller increase.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name