Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Senior Parents raised $315 by new Owner

Posted by Maria on January 30, 2001 at 21:31:11:

In Reply to: Senior Parents raised $315 by new Owner posted by Worried Daughter on January 30, 2001 at 19:33:09:

: My senior, Italian-speaking parents rent an apt in a 4-family building in Brooklyn. They've been there for 17 years and the new off-site landlord of a few months just raised them $315. Do they have any recourse at all? Is this legal? Can they fight this? Only Dad is on SS, very limited income. Help.

Legal, yes: 4 units = not stabilized, usually.

Call DHCR 718-739-6400 to find out for sure.

If they are, the rent increase is only 4 or 6%. And they don't have to pay that if they're eligible for SCRIE:

If the apartment is not supposed to be stabilized, get help form the neighborhood senior center. And call/ find that Brooklyn community organization with Fifth Avenue in its name: they have a special interest in helping stop the displacement of seniors by these huge rent increases. (found it!: below)

Organizes around housing issues. Located in Park Slope, Brooklyn; Current project entails providing organizing support to their Displacement-Free Zone Campaign. The agency needs volunteers during regular office hours, however occasional evening work is available. Bilingual (English/Spanish) is helpful.
141 Fifth Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11217
Benjamin Dulchin (718) 857-2990
Fax: (718) 857-4322

Here's a list of some other Brooklyn agencies to try:

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name