Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Collecting security deposit - judgment

Posted by maven on January 31, 2001 at 07:38:35:

In Reply to: Collecting security deposit posted by BC on January 31, 2001 at 02:26:35:

If you have your cancelled rent checks, you might be able to see the name of the bank (and the account number) where the landlord has his account. Then getting a restraining notice from the small claims clerk and have it served on the bank. The bank is supposed to withhold twice the amount of the judgment.

You could also get restraining notices and have them served on some of the current tenants. The tenant is supposed to withhold twice the amount of the judgment.

You can also get an information subpoena from the clerk and have it served on the landlord. He is supposed to answer the subpoena and tell you the location of his assets and sources of income.

And you could have a lien filed against the building, but foreclosing on the building to collect a small claims court judgment could be expensive and time-consuming.

: After I moved out of my last apt, I had to take my landlord to small claims court to get my sec dep back. I won the case but now am faced with the problem of trying to collect. He owes me $800. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to collect. A City Marshall said I need to either find his place of employment or Savings/checking accounts for them to start garnishment.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name