Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Unreasonable landlord

Posted by Dawn on February 02, 2001 at 16:26:02:

In Reply to: Unreasonable landlord posted by Steve on February 02, 2001 at 10:40:16:

There are lawyer sites posted all over this board. One that comes to mind is www.tenantlawyers.com.

Good luck.

:
: Our landlord has refused us permission to sublease (multi-building owner, rent stabilized, large building, resident for 22 years, new, 2year lease began 12/01/00, in Manhattan). I followed all guidelines and procedures.

: The refusal is based on the fact that my wife's employer (large corporation) will not release the duration of her new (and believed to be temporary) assignment upstate. As an "at will employment" corporation, the only information they will provide regarding inquiries about employees is name, current title, date of hire and salary. We have provided two letters from my wife's division head to that effect. Additionally, we have owned a weekend home (for 20 years) within commutation distance of the new job where we plan to live. Landlord contends that because we own this house, and because we cannot provide the length of the assignment upstate we have failed to establish that we will reoccupy our Manhattan apartment (we stated we would reoccupy) , hence request to sublease is denied.

: Other than meeting the 10 day initial response deadline, the landlord's in-house lawyer has delayed this process every way possible; refused to respond to more than 20 phone messages; ordered credit reports on my wife and me and called my wife's employer (despite having the two signed letters stating policy).

: Here are my questions: 1) Is the landlord's denial of our request to sublet "unreasonable" under the law? 2) If found unreasonable, can I sue to recover lost sublet rent? 3) Can I sue on any other basis: unauthorized credit check, harassment, etc.?

: I am determined to fight this and will retain a tenant/landlord attorney if my case is as strong as I believe it to be. In a previous posting, someone asked for the names of experienced attorneys. Last names only were given. Could you please give their full names so I can find them on the Internet?

: Thank you!

: Ê

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name