Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Stuck in Westchester County

Posted by Dawn on February 02, 2001 at 17:02:24:

In Reply to: Stuck in Westchester County posted by Jayme on February 02, 2001 at 16:47:09:

I feel for you -- because I was in a very similar situation. It was very stressful but I took the only way I knew how -- just kept my physical presence limited and paid my half til the lease expired.

I can't offer legal advice since I'm not an attorney. You may want to try one of the lawyer banners plastered all over this site or try www.tenantlawyers.com.

Although you did sign a binding contract with the landlord, there is a way, but I don't know if it's going to put you completely in the clear. You can write a letter to the landlord, stating that you are leaving town and therefore, are giving 30 days' notice and give up all rights you have to the place. That's it, no further explanation. Send it Fed Ex or Certified Mail, so you get a signature upon receipt for your records, in case the LL says later he/she never got it, it got lost, whatever. You have proof that you mailed it, gave him the full thirty days notice (meaning if you send the letter January 2, it might be in your best interests, because of mail processing, that your final leave date is March 1). Some landlords will be flexible. On the other hand, your landlord could turn around and say you're responsible for the rent, regardless. But since the roommate is still there, and has no intentions of moving, LL may relent -- unless of course roommate says they can't afford it alone, and inadvertently screws you over just to be spiteful.

Or you can grin and bear it, wait for the lease to expire and leave. It's a sticky situation. Call an attorney NOW.

: Hi Everyone- I am looking for some legal advice regarding my current living situation. I live in Eastchester, NY in a 2 bedroom apartment. I have a 1 year lease which is up July 1st of 2001. It is a private house but the landlord does not live there. There are a total of 4 apartments in the house including a 2 bedroom apartment basement. There are only 3 electric meters and 4 apartments. Our landlord sold the house to someone else in December of 2000 without any of the tenants knowledge. We got a piece of paper under the door one day which showed the new landlords name.

: My problem is that my roomate and I are not getting along and I want to move out. She has basically threatened me that I can't move out b/c my name is on the lease until July 1st. Does anyone know of any way I can get out of this apartment legally?

: Another point to remenber is that my roomate will in no way agree to move out before the lease is up. I'm stuck please help!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name