Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: central heat bills in a rent stab apt NYC: fan costs $90/mo?

Posted by link on February 11, 2001 at 17:00:03:

In Reply to: central heat bills in a rent stab apt NYC posted by Paul on February 08, 2001 at 00:18:20:

: I have been living in a rent stab apt for 20 years in Queens NY.
: The heat and a/c are central heat and a/c. In order for me to have ANY HEAT AT ALL I have to turn on an electric fan which blows the heat out of my wall unit. If I do not turn on the electric fan, my apt is extremely cold. I have to pay for the electric. I thought that a landlord was supposed to provide heat and hot water, in a rent stab apt, at NO cost to the tenant. My electric bills are very high as a result of this. I spoke to the landlord about this and all they said was that it was approved by the city.

: This is also a 421A building and I pay an extra $90 a month just for that and it is supposed to go on forever, according to the landlord.

: Would anyone know if the landlord is supposed to compensate me, in some monetary way, for the expense of running the electric fan during the heat season ??
: I can understand that the central a/c is an advantage over a window unit electric cost but a/c is not a requirement for a rent stab landlord to provide, at no cost, but heat is. I would appreciate any help that this Tenant Net board could provide me with. Thank you very kindly.

my A/C only costs $1.00/day in electricity; your fan costs $3.00/day??!
sounds like you pay for electric heat, not electric fan. if so, may be illegal.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name