Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

What are my rights as a subletter

Posted by Rob on February 12, 2001 at 00:17:47:

A friend of mine and I are both in the entertainment business. When his career took him to California, he invited me to move into his New York apartment. (He has held the lease to a one bedroom apt in midtown Manhattan for 8 years. The rent stabalized building is 40 years old with approx. 170 units) I pay him the exact rent amount and he mails a check to the mangement company. The superintendent of the building has known of our arrangment since I moved in four years ago. He has always been very accomadating since I am a good tenant and cause him no trouble compared to other sublet arrangements. A week ago my friend (the legal tenant) was notified by the management company's attorney that by me living here, he was in violation of his lease and served him with a "Notice to Cure." The notice gave no indication of what "the cure" was. He wrote a letter stating our career obligations and requested that my name be added to the lease or that the lease be transfered to my name altogether. This week he received notification that he was to vacate the premises by February 20. (This was not a formal eviction notice.) They also refused his request to add my name to the lease or transfer the lease. There are no disputes between me and my friend, the dispute is between him and the mangement company. Since I have lived here for four years with the mangement's knoweledge (via the superintendent), do I have any legal rights? And if so, what are they? The rent has always been paid in full on time and there has been no damage or disrruption to the property. I would appreciate any information or advice.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name