Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

What do i do next?

Posted by John on February 21, 2001 at 17:10:03:

I live in brooklyn in a rent stabilized apartment and i have a written lease.The building has six units including mine and i think was built in the forties or fifties.My landlord knocked on my door in early december and told me he would not be renewing my lease when it runs out at the end this april.Seems he wants to move into my apartment and at the time told me also my neighbor's apartment.I 've since found out he gave my neighbor a new lease saying he would be taking over his apartment after his new lease runs out.I emailed housing with the same info you see here and they directed me to their fact sheet section on the web site.In particular "#10 eviction from an apartment based on owner occupancy" which cleared some things up for me.It says he has to give me written notice and because i live outside nyc " apply to DHCR for an order granting a certificate of eviction by filing an "Owner's Application for Order Granting Approval to Refuse Renewal of Lease and/or to Proceed for Eviction for Owner Occupancy".Now that i know this i don't know what i should do next.I certainly don't want to confront my landlord and tell him what he has to do.But i also don't want to wait till the end of april and do it then.One big problem is he doesn't speak english and brings his daughter whenever he needs to speak to me.The problem with this is i'm never sure how a seventeen year old is interpreting my words.There's also the landlords wife who also doesn't speak english and has a very short fuse.I mention all of this so you get the full picture.So does anyone know what i should do next and how i should go about it?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name