Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: bankruptcy! Any danger to apartment lease?

Posted by info on February 22, 2001 at 12:19:07:

In Reply to: Re: bankruptcy! Any danger to apartment lease? posted by Sue on February 22, 2001 at 09:14:10:

As well as student loans too, even with bankruptcy you are still legally obligated to pay that back too.

: : I am a resident in NYC and considering bankruptcy. What impact would filing have on my lease? I have not defalt on rent and do not want to give up my apartment.

: Don't panic. Yes - bankruptcy stays on your credit record & can cause some problems in getting new credit. But if you have any credit accounts that are NOT included in the bankruptcy & pay those on time going forward after the bankruptcy as well as utilities and rent - you would be on your way to repairing your credit. Also as another poster stated - with a rent stabilized lease, your landlord cannot refuse to renew your lease for this reason.

: That said - before taking the step - have you considered a debt counseling service? They analyse what you owe & try to work out new,lower payments with your creditors that you can afford. You then make one payment/month to the service. Nothing shows up on your credit file. Something to think about. Also remember there are certain obligations which cannot be wiped out by bankruptcy - including taxes and child support.

: Good luck with everything

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name