Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

I need immediate advice

Posted by JAY on February 22, 2001 at 22:01:10:

Hi All,
I'm looking for advice on my current situation.

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment in Westchester,NY. We have a 1 year lease which ends June 30, 2001. My roomate and I had an argument at the end of December about $. My boyfriend would stay in the apartment about 3-4 nights a during the week. She told me on Dec 29th that she thought he should contribute to the rent b/c he was staying there. At that time he was paying for groceries and the cable. I told her that I did not want him to pay rent and that I would just not let him stay anymore. Problem resolved! Well after that you would think that she would be happy. I learned that she had alot of debt/ credit card bills and was obviously looking to get a break on her rent. My resolution to the problem of not letting my boyfriend stay was not the answer she was looking for. She thought that we would just fork over the money.

Since then, she has not spoken to me. I confronted her about what was going on and she flipped out on me. Her behavior changed and she became acting really strange (Eating a ton, leaving dishes and crap everywhere, never leaving the apartment). Since then she has basically made my life miserable. She will constantly do things to bug me. I came home one day and she had moved everything in the apartment that was mine off of her stuff. Ex. Took all my stuff of her tables, basically separating our things. She is acting like a 2 year old. She started jumping in the shower when I usually did trying to make me late in the AM. I then adjusted my schedule to get up earlier, then she did the same. I would confront her but, I'm so nervous around her. She has soo much anger in her it's scary! I'm literally afraid of her. She has strange and irratic behavior.

Ok well, I tried to stick it our but it is becoming ridiculous. I am going crazy. She is rude to who ever calls for me, she doesn't give me messages, she has taken over the living room b/c her TV is in there and I have one in my room. I am constricted to my room, not physically but really, she makes me uncomfortable in my own house.

I have been tip-toeing around her hoping if I am nice, she will knock it off. The strangest thing is, the nicer I am to her EX. Leaving her phone messages, trying to say hi, trying anything to get her to be nice etc... SHE GETS WORSE! If I leave the door open for her, she will slam it soo hard, the house shakes. Her actions are what is scary. How can someone have so much hate over nothing. I feel like she is taking over my life.

The last time I confronted her, Jan 15th I told her I wanted to leave the apartment. that I could not live like this and I was miserable. She started yelling at me saying that "YOU CAN'T GO ANYWHERE, YOU SIGNED A LEASE" It is basically positioned as, I'm stuck and because, she has no life of her own, she is going to make mine miserable. It's like harassment every day. I'll leave the house for a few minutes and as soon as I leave, she double padlocks the door and shuts the light off! Anyway, I know I'm rambling.
Sorry!!!
This past WED, I called the landlord and finally told him the situation. I also called to tell him that I put a lock on my door b/c she would go in my room when I was not there and do god knows what. I told him that I had told her I wanted out and she said no. I expressed to him my concerns about her irratic behavior and that I did not feel safe. I told him I want to move out for April 1st. He called her and told her (He is a great guy, I realize most landlords wouldn't even get involved in this situation)! Anyway, she said she had some people lined up to move in July 1st and that she is 99% sure she wants to stay at the apartment.

The landlord then tells me that he will let me leave for April 1st and use up my security for rent for the month of march as long as my roomate finds someone. He told her that she can find someone or that if she couldn't find someone, he would find someone to rent my room for the remaining 3 months.

My question after all of this is, how do I cover my butt?

I am sending a certified and notarized letter to both my landlord and roommate. What I am doing is putting in writing what the landlord said he would do in letting me move out. I am sending it so they will recieve it over 30 (35) days before I move out.

Do you have any other advice on what I should do to protect myself from being sued?

My other question is, I am in the process of getting another place for April 1st, I need board approval. I know they are going to call my current landlord to find out about me, I'm just afraid if she
(my roomate)decides to screw me and not try and find a roomate, how the landlord will respond.

I understand this is a sticky situation which ultimately depends upon my crazy roommate and her trying to make this as little of a headache as possible.

PLEASE if you actually read my entire saga/ soap opera of a story!!

Give me some guidance.

Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name