Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Disappearing Security Deposit? Should I Be Concerned?

Posted by Kay on February 25, 2001 at 14:03:04:

I sublet an apartment through an agency for several months. I gave them a sizable security deposit. After I gave them the allowed 2 weeks notice, (so that I was leaving 1/2 month earlier than the 6 months I had initially said I wanted to stay--but this was allowed) I was informed they were able to rent it several days earlier, so that I could leave sooner, which I agreed to. They never charged me for the extra days, so I assumed they were taking it out of my security deposit, but I never received a response when I asked about this. It is more over 2 weeks since my last day there, and I have heard nothing about my security deposit. I emailed them, with no response. I called, and they are out of town. The thing is, I never gave them my notice in writing, only verbally (now I'm faxing them something in writing). They were very nice to me (I only spoke to them on the phone), so I might assume everything is ok. On the other hand, could there be a problem? This agency is not listed in the phone book, only on the internet.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name