Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

NYC Housing Problem

Posted by Marsha Scott on March 08, 2001 at 17:57:39:

: Two months ago, I sublet an apt in a Brooklyn NYC Housing Authority Building. The tenant paid $150 a month. Because I was in a bind (I have a husband and six children) and living with my mother I agreed to pay the tenant $500 a month. I paid $1500 up front to the tenant and her daughter and moved in. Not knowing, I believed them when they told me they would put my name on the lease. They gave me receipts and notarized letters stating I had been in the apt. since December 2000 and how much money I paid. When NYC Housing found out I had sublet the apartment they told me I had to move. The tenant I rented the apartment from has moved to Virginia. NYC Housing told me the tenant has faxed them an authorization to close the apartment. Today NYC Housing told me they were coming with the police to lock up the apartment and change the locks. Not only am I out of $1500 dollars, I don't have a place to live. The tenant's daughter is a resident of NYC Housing also. Is what the tenant and her daughter did illegal? Can I take action against either of them? Shouldn't maybe the daughter loose her lease for her deception? Can anyone tell me what I shoud do now? Do I have any legal recourse?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name