Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: co-tenant withholding renewal lease

Posted by New York Tenant on March 09, 2001 at 22:38:55:

In Reply to: co-tenant/roommate witholding renewal lease posted by angela on March 09, 2001 at 18:34:19:

The apartment is just as much yours as it is hers, because you are co-tenants -- not roommates.

You have done the right thing by letting the landlord know that you are willing to renew the lease on your own. If you haven't already done so, send that information to the landlord, in writing, by certified mail, return receipt requested.

And look at this E-Mail of the Week from the Rent Guidelines Board's website:

http://www.housingnyc.com/questions/past_emails/emailweek12_4_00.html

:
: I have lived in a rent-stablized apt. for 6 years in NYC and my roommate wants me out of the apt. She lived in the apt. for about 6 months before I moved in and did not have a lease until we both got it together.
: She has been witholding the renewal lease from me because I will not agree to remove my name off the lease so she can have the apt. She thinks its her place since she was there first. I would love to move once I find another apt., but do not want to be told when to move.
: I need to know what my rights are if she does not sign the lease. I want to stay in my apt. and agree to sign the lease. Can my landlord evict me? Is my lease invalid without her signature and can I arrange a new lease with the landlord since she is failing to sign. I have informed the landlord that she is being difficult and would gladly take over the lease if she does not sign.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name