Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can I sublet the co-op apt I'm renting?

Posted by New York Tenant on March 13, 2001 at 08:30:54:

In Reply to: Can I sublet the coop apt I'm renting? posted by Terri on March 13, 2001 at 00:38:43:

Section 226-b(3) of the Real Property Law specifically excludes co-ops from the law that give tenants in buildings with four or more units the right to sublet.

In your case, the board of directors gave the shareholder (your landlord) permission to sublet to you, even though not required to do so by Section 226-b of the Real Property Law.

But even when a tenant has the right to sublet, there is no further right for the sub-tenant to sub-sublet.

: Apt in Manhattan, building built 1924, co-op as of 1989, 185 units, I signed a 1 year lease on 1/01/01

: Would like to sublet apt for 3-6 months while I'm out of town for same rent I'm paying ($1,500). Management company said the Board would not approve a sublet by a renter. Can the Board reasonably refuse this if I find a subletter who can meet the same acceptance criteria that I met? Any advice appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name