Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Rent increase of $150 - with less than 2 weeks notice!

Posted by Alexuma on March 21, 2001 at 21:17:55:

Hi there-
I have posted before, but now I have a serious problem...
My landlord finally gave me a new lease after me asking for it at least 5 times in 4 months since my lease expired. I live in a 4 family brownstone building in Brooklyn, no rent control - and have lived here for eight years. I finally got a new lease, today, with a $150 increase, whic they want me to sign and begin applying on April 1st - in less than 2 weeks! I realize the market has gotten increasingly competitive and that rents in my neighborhood have doubled in the last few years, but this is a little unreasonable...
Also, since I have been here, the apartment has NEVER been painted. I know that I have a right to have the place painted every 3 years, is this something I can request from them before signing the new lease? In addition, there are many things wrong with the apartment that i have not asked to have fixed since I was waiting for the new lease and knew that my rent was significantly lower than the going rate (plus I get major attitued when i ask for repairs and it takes over 3 request before anything gets done anyway). Things like: windows that leak when it rains or that do not open unless you prop them up with a plank of wood. Leaky faucets at all sinks. Terrible drainage in the shower (my feet ALWAYS take baths - drano, and snakes have repeadeldy tried and failed to fix the problem). Holes in the ceiling and the wall from there old ovens had chimney pipes.
Is it unreasonable for me to request a 3 month notice for the lease increase, and in addition request that these repairs be done?
Well, i guess that is it.
Thank you VERY MUCH for your help.
Alexuma

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name