Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Can they fine me in addition to my deposit for breaking my lease?

Posted by Debbie on March 26, 2001 at 15:05:46:

I recently lost my employment to a company in Boca Raton, FL due to the company's filing chapter 7 bankruptcy. I was hard pressed to find new employment and the only suitable employment that I could find in a short time was some 7 hours away. I obviously had to break my lease, which I had only been in for 3 months. The apartment complex I was living in now wants to charge me an additional month's rent as a penalty, a redecorating fee (which I paid when I moved in but they want it again), keep my security deposit & accrued interest, and then charge a partial month's rent for the month after I left before the apartment was re-let. My question is - Are all those amounts legal? The apartment was in perfect condition when I left it - almost exactly as it was when I moved in. I agree with paying the rent until the apartment is re-let, but what about all the rest of that money? HELP! I feel like they've got their hands deep in my pockets!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name