Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can they fine me in addition to my deposit for breaking my lease?

Posted by Renee on March 26, 2001 at 17:39:24:

In Reply to: Can they fine me in addition to my deposit for breaking my lease? posted by Debbie on March 26, 2001 at 15:05:46:

........But you had no trouble signing the lease did you!!! Sorry - but I am obviously a landlord - not in NYC. My lease - proven in court - requires a re-leasing fee of one months rent PLUS rent until the place is re-rented, advertising costs and all maintenance as required by lease (heat, lawn maintenance etc). Is it fair for the landlord to suffer for your problems? You signed a legal contract that had no clause stating that if you lost your job.....

You made an agreement to pay and pay you will - one way or another. I have just received a check from a state income tax refund from a tenant that tried to do that to us last year. He expected $490. Guess who got it??? The judge did not rule indiscriminately. He looked at the signed lease and gave us a money judgment. Even after this amount has been paid, it will remain on the tenant's records for the next 10 years as a reminder of how not to do business.

If I were in this situation, I would tell the landlord to find a new tenant while I remain there. That will protect you from paying dual rent. I would be flexible to move at any time and keep my home showing perfect. The landlord must show due effort to try to find a new tenant. Believe it or not, I do feel sorry for your circumstances, I just have a hard time understanding why you would feel that your landlord should be affected adversely by your bad fortune. The idea is ??? Spread the missery around???

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name