Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can landlord enter apartment whenever they want

Posted by Ace on March 27, 2001 at 11:38:51:

In Reply to: Can landlord enter apartment whenever they want posted by a on March 27, 2001 at 07:06:13:

Is your apartment the only way to access meters and such? Just wondering. Otherwise if you're just a quiet tenant who pays on time, then this is a problem. Keep careful and detailed track of the time, date and place of when you receive notice, when and if they come, etc. Keep all notices for your file. They do not have access to your place unless it's an emergency, like a broken pipe or such, in other words, repairs. If they're coming just to look around and not much else, then make a note of what they do, what they look at.

Then after their latest inspection, (walk with them to see what they're looking for or if you can be of any help to what they are searching for) then be helpful and polite, and quietly get the cylinder of your door changed. Keep this info to yourself, don't even tell the neighbors. The LL will only see that the outside lock looks the same, and just, for some strange reason, his key doesn't fit. Make sure you put a burglar alarm on any windows that have a fire escape. Buy a vcr with a camera built into it or a clock that has a spy camera built into it and start taping what goes on in your apt. while you're not there.

You have a right to privacy and a quiet peaceful home. If the LL starts getting hostile about the lock, be polite but firm, and say If the LL needs access to the apartment for repairs, then you will be happy to meet with LL on x day on x time -- and be on your way. Don't challenge or get into a stupid argument with the LL. Ignore LL's request for a key and repeat calmly and politely yet firmly that if LL needs to get in for repairs (emphasize the word repairs) that you would be more than happy to accomodate him on x day between the hours of y and z.

And continue to pay your rent on time as LL is being a pain and will look for any excuse to "break in" again. Also, start saving money and start looking for another place to live, as this LL may be a troublemaker.

: I am being harassed by my landlord in Massachusetts. They have repeatedly threated to break into my apartment for so called "inspections." They send a notice about a day or 2 earlier declaring that they will be coming in at some unstated time starting early in the morning to late afternoon.Some times they do not even come when they threaten but leave me sitting in the apartment waiting for them all day Some times they claim that they will be entering on some unknown date during a given week. They claim they can break into my apartment at any time they want as much as they want for "inspections" even when I am not dressed or asleep. Does anyone think this is legal? What can I do to stop this.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name