Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent Increase

Posted by Ace on March 28, 2001 at 11:03:06:

In Reply to: Rent Increase posted by Gladys on March 27, 2001 at 12:30:12:

You mention your building is not rent controlled or stabilized but is your apartment either status? If not, then the LL can raise it to any amount LL wishes. The 4% you're mentioning is a percentage determined by DHCR for rent stabilized apartments, with 4% being for one year currently and 6% being for two years.

Please check your lease to verify your status or check the Are You Rent Stabilized link here on tenant.net, put in your address and see if the building is at all rent stabilized/controlled, etc. Better yet, call DHCR. Have the building I.D. number handy as well(that info usually is placed somewhere in the lobby of your building).

: I live in Queens- Woodside area. My landlord had just increased our rent from $ 810 to $ 910/mo. I know it's not much compared to NYC rent but it's still a lot for a Queens apt. I just learned that one of the tenants in the my building just renewed his lease as well. He just got a $40 increase on his rent- from $800/mo to $840/mo. Our building is not rent controlled or rent stabilized. I just want to know what is the legal rent increase percentage that a landlord can impose on a lease renewal. I read somewhere that is should only be 4% if it's a 1 yr. lease. When we got the apt.- our lease stated that the landlord is not responsible for any "painting or any repairs..."

: I'd really appreciate an input from anyone. Thanks!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name