Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Tenant Rights in "False Advertising"

Posted by T Poole on March 28, 2001 at 21:31:02:

My question is as follows:

We moved into a brand new apartment that was a little smaller, a little more pricey than others we were looking at, specifically because their marketing literature/brochures and advertisements stated that they provided "high speed internet access for only $15 a month".

Upon moving in, we discovered that the internet access was in fact NOT high speed, but rather 28.8k even with a 56k modem! I asked management what was going on, and they said "they'd check it out". I never heard back. I asked several times over the following weeks, and got no definitive answers. They stopped charging me $15 a month right away, however they never did get around to offering the high speed service they had advertised, which was the ONLY reason we moved in.

This was 6 months ago. We signed a 1 year lease. Now, my job (which has always favored my having high speed access, as I work at home).. now REQUIRES I have high speed access. But the complex uses a telecommunications service other than the local phone company, and therefore Im not able to get DSL access through NV Bell, either.

If I were to break the lease and move, stating that the services offered to me upon move-in were never in fact delivered, are there consequences to that, or do I have a legal right to void a contract in which there was false information?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name