Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Subleasing

Posted by Coture on March 30, 2001 at 15:22:39:

I have currently been living in a "illegal" sub-leased apartment since August of 2000. Before I moved in I was informed that the landlord knew that I was moving in the apartment. And also I stayed with the people that I was subletting from for about a week before I moved in. I have been paying the rent to the person that I was subleasing from. Trusting that everything would work out fine. In the beginning the agreement was verbal, with myself and the sub-letter. It was that at the end of their lease that expired in May 2001, I would then pay the 1 month rent and security deposit, to take over their lease. During the duration of my stay, I met the landlord in December 2000, while she claimed that she knew nothing about me moving into the apartment. "Which I knew she was lying". To cut a long story short, I was verbally informed last friday that I have to move out by this Sunday. Which in New York that is impossible. By January 2001 I was informed by the sub-letter that they wanted out of their lease early, and that I should start saving my money so that we could go ahead with my taking over the lease. But I did inform them that I would not be able to have my money until March 2001. The landlord agreed to let them out of their lease. But I don't know what happened with that situation. HELP... I put in an application to rent one of the other apartments the landlord had. When i went to look at the apartment I did not like it at all. Tuesday she showed me another unit that she had available. I really liked this one, and I told her that i wanted it. Today I found out that she rented the apartment that I liked. Even after i told her I wanted that one. Now I do not know weather to move out into the apartment that I really don't like? Move back in with the sub-letters? Report this and go to court? Can you actually agreed the sub-letters offered to let me move back in with them until I find another place. My big issue is that I wasn't given the 30 day proper notice to move out. HELP, I don't know what to do????

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name