Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Help on dealing with problem roomate....

Posted by Ace on March 30, 2001 at 13:33:30:

In Reply to: Help on dealing with problem roomate.... posted by KM on March 30, 2001 at 12:41:26:

Whose names are listed as the tenant? Is this roommate listed as a co-tenant on your lease? If not, you can give him a 30 days notice to get out. If he's provided any security monies, hand this over to him as well in a check or money order -- NOT cash. You will need proof of payment to this person in case they claim later they didn't get their money. Hopefully that is the situation and the end of it.

If the roommate is really a co-tenant, then it's a bit more difficult. All tenants signed to the lease are held "jointly and severally" for all rent monies due. Which means you could, just to avoid further messsiness, just try to work things out with the co-tenant until the lease expires. Or you can pay off the roomie to move now.

Good luck.

: I need some advice on dealing with a problem roommate. I live in Upstate, NY in a complex with about 300 units. We have a one year lease that runs out on JUly 31st 2001. My Fiancee and I have a roommate (we are all 22 years old). The roommate constantly has 16, 17, 18 year old high school kids over as well as other deadbeat 22 year olds. They drink alcohol, smoke pot, drop acid and are very loud. He doesn?t know that we are aware of the acid habit. When we fist moved in with this roomate he was very quiet and no one bothered with him very much. His "friends" began using him as soon as he got an apartment.

: My Fiancee and I are sick of dealing with this Crap. We pay 2/3 of the rent (Total rent is $850) and are uncomfortable in our own apartment. Also, I don?t appreciate having minors drink and do drugs in my apartment. We don?t want to be held liable for it, as our names are on the lease.

: Don?t get me wrong, I am not against him having a few people over that aren?t minors.

: Does anybody have any suggestions? Imagine if it was your 16-year-old daughter drinking at some 22-year-old male?s apartment.

: What can I do? I don?t want to get in trouble, but it?s very frustrating as my Fiancee and I both work full-time and attend college part time in the evening. Do we have to wait till the lease runs out? Can we complain to the police? What would you do?

: Please help me before I go off the deep end.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name