Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I Never did get an answer...maybe you did

Posted by dave on April 03, 2001 at 02:08:17:

In Reply to: I Never did get an answer... posted by KOMO on April 02, 2001 at 16:22:59:

Rent gouging is subjective anyway.......

If he holds the lease and doesnt live there, and is illegally subletting to you..then sue the bassstarrrd.

If you are a roomate....well YOU agreed to the price, and it seemed reasonable to you at the time, so NO you wont be able to get money back...

But it seems fair that roomates should be charged only their fair share of the overall rent....but usually the leaseholder, has furniture, appliances, dishes etc.. and phone cable, and other stuff, let alone be responsible for the WHOLE amount of the lease if the roomie Bolts overnight... so half the rent would be usuing the Leaseholders posessions, for free, and thats not right either.

I really think rationally, a leaseholder would be able to charge 20-25% more then the even split of rent, if the apartment is $1000 the roomie would pay $600-625 and anything over that would be considered rent gouging.

Thats how I think the courts will play this out...

: If a roomate holds the lease and he's rent gouging me, can I recover my money? Will a court enforce the regulations and make him pay back his illegal profit? I know, I know ...people think I'm a bastard for asking, but a rent gouging sleaze is a rent gouging sleaze. A straight answer?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name