Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Actually collecting judgment from landlord

Posted by New York Tenant on April 05, 2001 at 11:22:21:

In Reply to: Actually getting the award posted by Senrik on April 05, 2001 at 10:47:24:

If you're still a tenant, you can withhold the amount of the judgment from future rent payments.

If you're no longer a tenant, get the location of the landlord's bank account from your cancelled rent checks and give this information to the sheriff or a city marshal.

You can also serve an information subpoena on the landlord to learn the location of its assets.

And you can get restraining notices from the clerk to serve on the landlord's bank, and if necessary, on current tenants, to have twice the amount of the judgment withheld.

: At court I received a judgement that the LL was to give me the judgement amount. this was all written into the court record. The LL has 21 days to give me a certified check.

: What can I do to collect this judgement if the check proves to be a no-show? I know that I could call the sherriff's office (in NYC) about it. Beyond that, what else can be done?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name